Thursday, April 30, 2009

Jack's Bike Theft Update

I was riding down Bedford to go to the bank and saw this dude riding a black frame with orange hoops down like 50 yards ahead of me and because I had just posted the description on the blog and it was fresh in my mind. I rode nexto him and started observing the bike. There was the Phil low flange hubs, the trackstar sticker, the pentagram, the steamroller drop-outs the silver risers and black stem. Vittoria sticker on the clip-on fender...
The rider looked awkward on the bike and I said "nice bike", a darker cross between Emanuel Lewis and Gary Coleman smiled agreeing. I continued "it's nice because it is MINE!".
This prick denied it all the way back the wrong way up Bedford to Fulton as I pleaded for the bike. He was about 5 foot 7 and 170 lbs. Anyway he led me to this dump of a bike shop on Albany just south of Fulton. I offered him $$ and said we could just walk away. Then he said "I bought this bike from this shop on Marcus Garvey and Fulton. They have my bike and I want it back". Then I got there and the Grey dread lock dude with blotchy dis-pigmented skin on the bridge of his nose being familiar with the rider took the stolen bike and said "if this is your bike where is the key?". I argued with these shysters for about an hour as I tried to raise Jack on the phone. Finally an older dude with a slender mustache and smartly trimmed hair came out holding a hatchet non-threateningly and spoke discreetly with the dread-lock dude. They said "have your friend bring the key and $150 and we will give him his bike. Unfortunately I had to go tend to my business and as I rode to the city I shook hands with them and said cool. Contacting Jack finally as I rode up the bridge I told him where the shop was and hoped for the best. Looking back I feel like an ass for not having my chain on my bike. I would have locked the bike up to a nearby post and been able to unlock it when Jack got there later. Like they say, it is better to regret something you have done than something you have not done...

Jack's here and I will let him fill the next chapter in:

Well... Jack's a little busy to finish the story so I will do my best.

Jack went there and asked about his bike. The shysters played dumb and said that Gary Coleman/Webster doppelganger forced his way into their shop and took his bike. They said he came there to sell Jack's bike but they would not buy it. They were lying right to our faces in front of the cops who Jack brought over. I was there heckling but there was nothing to do.

I left the bike because I could not stay there for 3 hours waiting for Jack to arrive. I should have called the police and stayed there with the thieves while the police arrived. But shoulda woulda coulda. Now it is up to us to put an end to this BS. I will create a Google Doc with our beloved customers' bike serial numbers stored so that if their bikes are stolen we can file a report with the fuzz. Then one can go to Albany between Fulton and Herkimer and non-chelantly inquire about bikes they are selling. Slowly making your way to the class of bike that was stolen from you, find your bike and haggle a little with the shysters and then say "I gotta go to the bank to get the $$". Assuming you have already filed a police report, you can then return with the police and retrieve your bicycle.

We can put an end to this Hub of bicycle thievery if we are diligent and work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment